By now if you have read any of my other blogs, it’s easy to conclude that I am a Dallas Cowboys fan. I started these blogs as way to put my take on the team and to assess my football knowledge. I would consider myself very knowledgeable of all things Football related. It is getting close to training camp and I feel that the most important thing that the Cowboys should accomplish during training camp is to solidify the offensive line. The offensive line has been a problem since 2007 and it has to get fixed before we can make any championship aspirations. Here is my take on how the offensive line should look in 2013!
Left tackle Tyron smith
Tyron Smith right now is the Cowboys best offensive linemen. He has all the tools to be a staple at this position for a very long time. He needs to focus more so that he can cut down on the false start penalties but going into his third season, second at the left tackle position I don’t have any doubts that he will be a pro bowl player this season.
Left Guard Phil Costa
I know; the first thing you’re saying is he is a center. When the Cowboys drafted Travis Fredrick, it was very clear that they wanted him to start. Where does that leave Costa? Let’s be clear Costa was a good center in my opinion but he got hurt last season. Ryan Cook stepped in and did a decent job. Costa is a better pass blocker than he is a run blocker. That is the main reason that they felt they needed to upgrade at the center position. I still think that when healthy Costa can help you on the line. At the guard position Costa will get help on both sides in the run game and against the 3-4 scheme he is athletic enough to get to the next level to make the blocks needed to spring the big runs. Costa is young and I think he can be a good player at the Guard positions.
Also look for Nate livings or Bernadeau, Mackenzy to also play the guard. They were both sign last year out of free agency. Livings didn’t show my anything last season to warrant a starting job. Bernadeau did well in run blocking but was beat a lot in passing game. I think that Costa would play better than either of them did last season.
Center Travis Fredrick
The 2013 first round pick! Need I say more? When you’re drafted in the first round you are expected to make an impact year one. He is a big strong center and played in a system at Wisconsin that was very run heavy. He can move off the line and he has the ability to reach the next level on the run plays. I think the biggest concern for him will be blocking those big nose tackles as a rookie. If he proves to be a good to great center it will make all the difference in this offensive line holding up and protecting Romo.
Right Guard Ronald Leary
Who is he? Ronald Leary is a young guard that has been getting a lot of time at the right guard position in minicamp due to injury. He has the athletic ability to play guard in the league. He needs experience. We didn’t see him a lot last season but he had his spots. Scouts and team personnel really like him and think he has a good chance of beating out Bernadeau for the starting guard position. I don’t know enough about him to say if he is or isn’t better than Bernadeau, but we saw Bernadeau last season. We saw too many times Romo running for his life after the ball was snapped. This can’t continue. Let’s plug Leary in here and get him ready to play with the new line this season.
I also have a twist with the Right guard position. I think that Doug Free would be a perfect Guard. He is super athletic and plays with good leverage. Free’s problem at Tackle is that he lacks pure strength. He is not able to lock on to a defender and control that defender. Leonard Davis was moved from tackle to guard when he came to Dallas and went to two pro bowls. Free struggled a lot last season and was even replaced a few times with Jermey Parnell. Let’s get the most out of this guy, he is good enough to play in the league.
Right Tackle Doug Free
I have free starting here by default. He has the experience and he is a serviceable tackle. Had the Cowboys drafted a tackle in the first round I think Free would have been cut. He is back and I think he is probably the best bet at the right tackle position. Does anybody remember when free came in for Marc Columbo and did an amazing job? He was making blocks 15 and 20 yds down field. He was getting great push off the line. He was pulling aggressively and making great blocks. What happened to him? They moved him to left tackle and he didn’t look to bad but didn’t look good either. They moved him back to right tackle and he played horribly through the season last year. I would love to see him bounce back and become the right tackle that we all expect he would be.
My twist on this position is that Jermey Parnell will start here if Free is moved to right Guard. I don’t think he will be able to beat free outright for the starting position but I do think he can be a good tackle if giving the chance to be.
Comments
Post a Comment