Skip to main content
Have you been paying attention to the NFC East division this year? It is awful. Eli Manning is really stinking up the joint. He is the sole reason for the Giants 0-6 start this year. The Eagles two wins have come from beating up on bad NFC East teams. The Redskins lone victory come from the Raiders led by Matt Flynn, and by the way he no longer plays for the Raiders. I mention the rest of the division because if the Cowboys can somehow take control of a bad division and win all six games within the division they can claim a playoff spot.
I am one those Cowboys fans that could care less if the Cowboys beat the Redskins. Has much as people like to talk about how bad the Cowboys have been the Skins have been worse. In my opinion the Giants have won 2 super bowls in the last 6 years and Philly was once considered the dream team. There just hadn’t been any room in the minds of Cowboys fan to focus on a Redskins team that hasn’t done anything up until last season. With that said the Cowboys have the chance to go 2-0 in the division and I really think that the division record and division wins will determine who wins the NFC East this season.
As I look at this Redskins team I don’t see anything that impresses me. Robert Giffin III has taken a step back. Many will say it’s because of the injury but I just don’t see the same player this year that I saw last year. He is showing me that he doesn’t have the ability to sit in the pocket and make all the throws like Andrew Luck. Without his ability to run he isn’t as big a threat. Their wide receiver group is average at best. Garcon has game breaking speed but doesn’t run good routes. Moss is just a slot receiver, and Hankerson can’t catch. Alfred Morris is looking like a 6th round pick, and not running the way we saw him run last season. The offensive line is terrible as usual. Even Trent Williams, is be abused by defensive linemen. I’m not even going to get into the issues they have on defense. This team has the same personnel from last season and looks worse than ever. Yeah I know they get back some players that were suspended but I don’t feel like those players will make that much of a difference.
On the other side of the coin, the Cowboys aren’t proving that they are improved either. The offense line is really playing well this season. The Cowboys still have the same problem running the ball. I’m starting to think that is a scheme issue more than a personnel issue. Dez Bryant is showing that his is one of the best wide receivers in the league. Jason Witten is doing what he usually does, and that’s go out and perform at the highest level. We are seeing a lot of young talent step up for the Cowboys offense. Gavin Escobar and Terrace Williams have proven to be very reliable targets in the passing game. I really have high hopes for both of them.
On the other side of the ball, the same issues that have plagued this team in the past have shown up this season. They are still giving up the big play, and having problem against the pass. I know they switched to the 4-3 scheme this offseason but the scheme is supposed to keep everything in front the players to allow them to make plays. I constantly see wide receivers and tight ends getting behind the corner backs and the linebackers. Kiffin really needs to make an adjustment to the scheme so that it fits the strength of the players.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that neither the Cowboys nor the Redskins have shown to be good teams up to this point. One of these teams has to win the game Sunday night. I will give you my five keys to the Cowboys beating the Redskins.

Air it out

The Washington Redskins have one of the worst secondary in the NFL. I know usually I say establish the run but this team actual plays good against the run. The stats are a little misleading for the Redskins in run defense because teams find it so easy to throw that they abandon the run. Dez Bryant is on a tear to start this season. No one on the Redskins team can cover him. They can’t afford to double team Dez because that will take someone out of coverage and virtually leave the middle of the field wide open for Witten, Beasley, and Escobar. The Cowboys should throw the ball early and often in this game. Let Romo do exactly what he did against the Broncos. We don’t need to see another 500 yard passing game from Romo but force this defense to stop them and don’t get conservative now. I want to see the 4 and 5 wide sets; I also want to see the 12 packages with the two tight ends. Make this team show you that they are going to stop the pass before you stop passing the ball


Get creative with Demarco Murray

Demarco Murray is a really good receiving option out of the backfield. He can be a good dump down option for Tony Romo in the passing game. This would also be a good week to utilize the screen game and get Murray out in space. When I was watching the Broncos game last week, I saw Peyton Manning use the draw play a lot with Moreno. When you throw the ball and are as effective at it as the Broncos are the draw play will kill the defense. When you spread the field and show a passing formation you force the defense to adjust. Then you can hand the ball off to Murray and allow him to pick up 5-7 yards. The Redskins saw the same game we saw last week against the Broncos they are going to load up against the pass. If Callenhan and Romo can work that draw play in the offense, it will setup play action and really keep the Redskins defense off balance.


Get the ball to Dez Bryant

This key is becoming a reoccurring theme with the Cowboys. This may be the biggest key to victory. If the Redskins want to try and single cover Dez then you really have to make them pay. Deangleo Hall is their best cover corner and he has no shot at covering him. I want to see Romo be aggressive getting the ball to Dez. Let’s see the back shoulder throw to, the jump balls, and the bubble screen plays to. The Redskins have no way to stop Dez Bryant and if they start to focus on him then all the other weapons should be able to step up. Make the Redskins stop Dez Bryant and the passing game will be efficient.


Pressure RG3

Last season RG3 was really carful with the ball. He is the complete opposite this season. He will try and force passes that he shouldn’t force. He will fumble the ball if the defenders swipe at the ball while it is in his hand. Their wide receivers aren’t good enough to make the defense pay for blitzing RG3. If the front four aren’t able to hit home, blitz him. Make him read the defense quick and try to get the ball out of his hands quick. The Cowboys may not get the sack but they may force him to throw the ball away or throw the pick. Also in the read option force Giffin to keep the ball. Once you start to hit this guy he will start make some bad decisions.


Be aggressive on Defense

I know the Cowboys defense has been torched the last two weeks. If this offense shows that it has the ability to score with ease on the Redskins, then this defense has to be able to force turnovers and get off the field on 3rd down. I think the Cowboys have the ability to man up across the board with these Redskins wide receivers. The Redskins don’t have a tight end with the ability of Antonio Gates or Julius Thomas. Let the linebackers play freely and let them read and react. If the Cowboys can stop the run, read option and force the Redskins to be one dimensional then this defense will get a lot of opportunities to get some turnovers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Run Starts Now!

          I really feel that the Cowboys bye week came at the perfect time in the season. For one reason Sean Lee got hurt in the game against the Saints and may be shelved for the next 3-4 weeks. The bye week bought him and extra week. Another reason is that this team was playing some bad football and needed a week to get back to the basics. That game against the Lions was pitiful. The defense couldn’t stop Calvin Johnson, Kiffin didn’t make any adjustments in that game, and it was just a badly played game by the Cowboys. The game against the Vikings wasn’t any better. They managed to win that game but needed a last minute drive to pull that one off. I also think the bye came at the perfect time for the fans. True fans have an emotional investment into the team they root for. When their team loses they can feel the hurt, and when their team wins they can feel the joy. As a fan I don’t have a problem with my team losing, I just hate to...

Let's Go Cowboys!!!! Beat the Broncos!!!

This week the Cowboys take on the big bad Broncos. Through four weeks the Broncos have looked invincible. Peyton Manning is looking like the greatest quarterback to every play this game. He has his team lined up perfectly on every play and he is able to find the favorable matchups before the ball is snapped. The Cowboys will really have their hands full this week facing a team that is averaging 40 points per game. Before I go into my 5 keys to victory I would like to talk about what I think it will take to beat a team like the Broncos.             In big games it comes down to coaching and execution. I was watching the Saints game on Monday night and the commentator mentioned how “gutsy” Sean Payton is as a play caller. Payton feels that his players are better than yours and he puts that confidence into his play calling. He trust that his quarterback will make the right read, the right throw, his wide receivers will run the right ro...