It has been a wonderful start to NFL season. After 7 weeks of football we have one team that still remains undefeated. No, that team isn’t the Denver Broncos; it’s the Kansas City Chiefs. The Chiefs have an ugly way of winning games, but sometimes ugly is good. They play a tough style of defense. The Chiefs have somewhat of a dink and dunk offense. They want to be able to run the ball with Jamal Charles, but when they do pass the ball it’s usually for about 5 or 6 yards. In today’s NFL that is a dink and dunk offense, but it’s effective. Alex Smith will not post pro bowl type numbers but they may win 12 or 13 games. The Cowboys played a tough game against the Chiefs and fell short of beating them but if not for a few turnovers the Cowboys may have been able to pull that game off.
Speaking of the Dallas Cowboys how do you think they have look in the first 7 games? If I look at the Cowboys with objective eyes, I see a team that is solid. They have a very good passing attack, a solid running game, and the defense that is forcing turnovers. They have solved some of the issues that hurt them last season, like the penalties, and red zone inefficiencies. Tony Romo is playing very well, and is leading this offense like a good quarterback should. That is speaking from objective eyes.
Speaking from a fans point of view, I like what I’m seeing for the Dallas Cowboys. This team is slowing coming along. Every big game this season this team has stepped up. They had a really good chance to beat the Denver Broncos in the first big game of the season. They destroyed the Redskins in the second big game. Then the dominated the Eagles in the most recent big game to take control of the division. What I like most is what I’m seeing from all parts of this team. We know that this offense can be special. Terrace Williams has been the biggest bright spot on the team this year (second is J.J Wilcox). Williams is only a rookie but he is running routes and getting open like a veteran. Cole Beasley is really stepping up and proving to be a great slot receiving option. What has been most impressed to me has been this offensive line. They’re giving Romo some very good pockets to step up into and they are giving him time to scan the field. Coming into this year I felt that this team could only go as far as the offensive line could take them. Who was questioning the Travis Fredrick draft pick again? He has been nothing short of amazing. Sure sometimes he gets pushed in the backfield on running plays, but he is still a rookie. Tyron Smith has really taken strides to becoming the top left tackle that the Cowboys expect him to be. Overall I am very happy with most of the things I’m seeing with this offense.
I have mixed feeling about the defense. The defense has been inconsistent. Some games they look great like in the games against Kansas City and Philadelphia. In other games they look horrible like in the games against the Broncos, and Chargers. I am aware that this is the first year for the 4-3 scheme. I know that we should expect a learning curve and adjustment period for all the players. When I look at the games against the Chargers and Broncos, I see some adjustments that can be made to the scheme to play to the strengths of the players. I’m really impressed with the way the defensive line is playing even without Ware and Spencer. I like the depth on the defensive line, and I really like the next man up mentality. George Selvie has been playing great for the Cowboys all season long. The linebackers seem to have settled into theirs roles in this 4-3 scheme. Sean Lee and Bruce Carter had their growing pains early but they have started to look like the duo we saw last season. I still think Kiffin needs to keep them off single coverage against tight ends. Their secondary still has work to do but I like the players that the Cowboys have in the secondary. Brandon Carr has shown that he can cover any wide receiver in the league. He completely shut down Pierre Garcon in the game against the Redskins. Morris Claiborne is starting to come around and understands how to play in the 4-3 scheme. He is taking away the big plays and coming up to make tackles on the shorts plays. I expect him to play better but I think he is warming up to the scheme. Barry church and JJ Wilcox have impressed me with their instincts and ability to cover. In the 4-3 scheme safeties are usually the last line of defense. You have to be able to make solid tackles to be an effective safety in the 4-3. Both of them have shown the ability come up and make good tackles. I expect the defense to get better as the season progresses.
As a fan I’m happy with what I’m seeing from the Cowboys. I want to see them start to build a little bit of momentum in these next couple games. They took the first step and that is taking the lead in the division. They have also beaten each team in the division one time. If the Cowboys can sweep the division they will make the playoffs. There is plenty of room for improvement but I’m starting to see a lot of the fundamental things from this team. The fundamentals are what build a strong foundation. Once the foundation is solidified the consistency will start to show. I just want to see them continue to build!
Comments
Post a Comment