Skip to main content

First Game thoughts!


            The first weekend of football was amazing as it always is! The 7 month layoff was well worth it. The first weekend has some surprises, some great plays, and some terrible plays. I think that most of the games turned out to be really good games. I would like to say that I consider myself a football fan first and a Dallas Cowboys fan second. Speaking of those Cowboys, they didn’t look to good yesterday.

            This is the first year in a while that the Cowboys entered the season with literally no expectations. Many think the defense will reach a historic low this season. Some people don’t think that Tony Romo’s back will last the entire season and Brandon Weedon will have to come in. Whatever you believe, this team shouldn’t have any expectation. They have been mediocre the last three season and didn’t do much this offseason in terms of improving. I say, you have to earn expectation. This team has got to show people that they have the testicular fortitude to play hard every Sunday and win the games they’re supposed to. With that said yesterday against the 49ers was a train wreck. I feel that game can be viewed in two ways.

            The first way you to view the Cowboys performance is in an optimistic light. Tony Romo didn’t play much in the preseason, and he didn’t do much in training camp and it showed. It was very clear that Romo tried to go out and prove everyone wrong that thinks is back is a problem. There were a number of bad reads and forced throws that Tony just usually doesn’t make. Don’t get me wrong he makes his fair share of bad throws but to try and force the ball into triple coverage is uncharacteristic. The excuse can be made that Romo was a little rusty and the Romo we saw against the 49ers isn’t the Romo that we will see all season. Romo also plays great after a bad game. That’s looking on the bright side!

One of the few bright spots was the offensive line, they played amazing!  There was plenty of times that Romo had time to throw the ball and there just wasn’t anyone open. The offensive line also created gaping holes for Demarco Murray to run through.

Demarco Murray is another bright spot. Murray seems to have learned that he needs to play a full seasons and wasn’t taking a ton of unnecessary hits. He was also going down when he saw a bunch of defenders around him. I really like the vision he showed on his cuts and he read the bodies of the offensive linemen perfectly. He really impressed with is ability to catch out the backfield. I just wish the Cowboys would give him the ball a lot more this season.

Another bright spot was defense. I know, the only reason I’m considering the defense a bright spot is because they didn’t’ give up 400 yards to the 49ers. Marinelli made some adjustments during the game and he played the bend but don’t break style of defense. I’m sorry Cowboys fans but that’s what this team is going to have to do in order to be competitive this season. If the offense can score between 20-25 pts a game then this approach to defense will be good enough to beat most teams. I thought the linebackers were very good in run support, not so much in coverage but that didn’t look horrible there either. The defensive line looked like I thought they would, scrappy! At times they put pressure on Kap, and even looked stout against the run. If they can play like this all season then wins and losses will hinge on how good this supposedly high octane offense can play.

The second way to view the Cowboys is the realistic ligth. There is a reason this team doesn’t have any expectations, they aren’t that good. The San Francisco 49ers are probably the second best team in the conference. There is no way in hell you beat them with four turnovers. There is no way in hell you beat any team with four turnovers. This team is going through a rebuild as far as personnel is concerned and they just don’t have the type of talent to beat a team like the 49ers.

There are no more excuses for Tony Romo, he has been in the league 12 seasons and has been a starter for 9 of those season. His performance yesterday was inexcusable! Then had the nerve postgame to say, “I have to play better”, really Romo, you think? If this team has any shot of winning 9 or 10 games this offense is going to have to carry the team, and that starts with him.

The play calling was pretty much the same as it’s been since Garrett became the play caller. This whole passing game coordinator and running game coordinator is a joke. The running game was successful and they continued to call pass plays even though the quarterback was struggling. This team just can’t seem to do what’s oblivious, and that’s give Murray the ball. They guy was a monster yesterday, the 49ers hadn’t allowed a 100 yards rusher in a long time and he was gashing them. Romo played horribly but the play calling was worst.

I’m not going to crush this team only because this is week one. If they continue to play like this, there won’t be a need to crush them, the teams in the league will handle that. This team has to play better if they want any shot of escaping mediocrity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Run Starts Now!

          I really feel that the Cowboys bye week came at the perfect time in the season. For one reason Sean Lee got hurt in the game against the Saints and may be shelved for the next 3-4 weeks. The bye week bought him and extra week. Another reason is that this team was playing some bad football and needed a week to get back to the basics. That game against the Lions was pitiful. The defense couldn’t stop Calvin Johnson, Kiffin didn’t make any adjustments in that game, and it was just a badly played game by the Cowboys. The game against the Vikings wasn’t any better. They managed to win that game but needed a last minute drive to pull that one off. I also think the bye came at the perfect time for the fans. True fans have an emotional investment into the team they root for. When their team loses they can feel the hurt, and when their team wins they can feel the joy. As a fan I don’t have a problem with my team losing, I just hate to...

Let's Go Cowboys!!!! Beat the Broncos!!!

This week the Cowboys take on the big bad Broncos. Through four weeks the Broncos have looked invincible. Peyton Manning is looking like the greatest quarterback to every play this game. He has his team lined up perfectly on every play and he is able to find the favorable matchups before the ball is snapped. The Cowboys will really have their hands full this week facing a team that is averaging 40 points per game. Before I go into my 5 keys to victory I would like to talk about what I think it will take to beat a team like the Broncos.             In big games it comes down to coaching and execution. I was watching the Saints game on Monday night and the commentator mentioned how “gutsy” Sean Payton is as a play caller. Payton feels that his players are better than yours and he puts that confidence into his play calling. He trust that his quarterback will make the right read, the right throw, his wide receivers will run the right ro...
Have you been paying attention to the NFC East division this year? It is awful. Eli Manning is really stinking up the joint. He is the sole reason for the Giants 0-6 start this year. The Eagles two wins have come from beating up on bad NFC East teams. The Redskins lone victory come from the Raiders led by Matt Flynn, and by the way he no longer plays for the Raiders. I mention the rest of the division because if the Cowboys can somehow take control of a bad division and win all six games within the division they can claim a playoff spot. I am one those Cowboys fans that could care less if the Cowboys beat the Redskins. Has much as people like to talk about how bad the Cowboys have been the Skins have been worse. In my opinion the Giants have won 2 super bowls in the last 6 years and Philly was once considered the dream team. There just hadn’t been any room in the minds of Cowboys fan to focus on a Redskins team that hasn’t done anything up until last season. With that said the Cowboy...